No Definition...

With the JCM prize finally finished and de-installed, I feel I can move on to a next stage of my practice. I had always approached this opportunity as a period of reflection for the work that had never been realized to it's potential. I also feel that the way the work was exhibited was a major success primarily due to the simplicity of each solution. The mounts simply disappeared into the plinths themselves allowing the work to standalone. The next question that keeps on arising is 'How do I define my-self?' I believe this will never be answered. After watching a short interview with Maarten Bass I was interested to hear how he does not describe his work in any specific area he simply, and very elegantly, just makes objects/designs of interest and discourse. Currently I feel this is how I am working. I never consider the avenue in which the work will be perceived so why should this a question that always arises? I'll simply leave this unanswered...

Also you can now listen again to the exhibition talk that happened at the Jerwood Space. I believe the Dovecot Studios 'In Conversation' will also be online within the next couple of weeks.

The sound pieces are coming on slowly with mixed feelings. Where I feel the concept is sound, bad pun, the end results are not refined enough. After discussing the concept of 'Studio works' (pieces that never see the light of day but just live in the studio) with a colleague I'm now interested in seeing if there is a potential for a very alternative exhibition, any takers?